Petition for Senior Prom Song

Kathryn Wendling

The week before prom, a poll was distributed to the senior students in order to choose a senior song. Our Senior Class requested the song “Graduation” by Juice Wrld after seeing it was not on the poll. A student petition was passed around the school to add the song to the list, but due to the profanity in the song, the petition was denied. 

The song was denied because the school felt that “This song is full of inappropriate language and sexually and racially derogatory lyrics. It is not indicative of the character of the students of Fairhope High School. We’re better than that.”

Many of the students felt it was a fitting song to choose solely because of the song title. Most students simply don’t pay attention to the lyrics. When we like a song it is primarily for the beat, rhythm or tempo.  Our generation likes to dance because it makes us feel happy. Again, in this case it was simply the title that caught our attention because the song was released the same year of our graduation. 

Since the petition was denied, the song “Dixieland Delight” by Alabama ended up being the senior song. When the song played at prom, the song didn’t really matter, it didn’t define who we are as a class or a generation. It was just a song, we had a great time, we danced, we talked about what comes next and will remember that night for the rest of their lives. 

Do you like the song "Dixieland Delight"?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...