History lesson… Eskridge talks with students before class starts. He has loved his time as an educator.

History teacher inspires students

September 16, 2022

Teacher Spotlight: Bennie Eskridge

by Hayden Self, reporter

FAIRHOPE, Ala.–Students love history teacher Bennie Eskridge who teaches many different subjects, but history is his favorite.

Eskridge has been teaching for 10 years since he started this journey in Montgomery, Alabama, where he taught at a middle school for eight years, then took a gap from teaching for 15 more. Wanting to return from his gap of teaching, Eskridge chose Fairhope High School as the place to do just that.

Eskridge wanted to become a teacher because there is no better way to have an impact on the community than being in education.

“Discussing topics I really enjoy, and have a passion for, being around the young keeps me young,” Eskridge said.

Eskridge excelled in history while he was in high school, and it was the subject that he enjoyed the most. He credits his love for the subject back in his own school days as to why he chooses to teach today.

Senior Nadim Ahmed, a student in Eskridge’s fourth period enjoys the class because he feels like it is worthy information to learn and Eskridge works one on one with his students.

“He’s got a really good class and knows how to go over information really well, you actually learn something in his class,” Ahmed said. “He works with you individually, he helps you and makes sure to go over information really well, so you can use it for the work he gives.”

One thing that made Eskridge’s class Ahmed’s favorite was that Eskridge didn’t give out busy work.

“He actually teaches, you use what he teaches to get your work done,” Ahmed said.

Eskridge believes that teaching is all about the relationships a teacher has with his/her students and is always “making sure to leave a positive impact on the young people.”

Eskridge’s students agree that he goes out of his way to have an impact on students, which makes him a great teacher.

The Pirateer • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in