Golden grub... FHS pre-k students eat their lunches while wearing their gold.
Golden grub… FHS pre-k students eat their lunches while wearing their gold.
Haley Gunther

Fairhope High School wears gold to honor Childhood Cancer Awareness Month

by Haley Gunther, reporter

FAIRHOPE, Ala.– Students, and staff wore gold to show awareness of childhood cancer, a tradition in Baldwin County Public Schools for a long time.

A meaningful mineral… Scaturro proudly wears gold to show his support for victims of childhood cancer. (Haley Gunther)

“One of my cousins had cancer when he was younger,” said junior Grant Scaturro. “That’s why I wore gold today.”

Childhood Cancer Awareness Month uses the color gold, a precious element, to represent the children.

Parents who have children with childhood cancer go through many hardships to seek help for their children. 

“My niece, Brooklyn Fitzgerald, had two brain tumors when she was in seventh grade. She had leukemia in her twenties, but passed away from COVID-19,” said Elizabeth Orfanello, Education & Training Teacher.

School staff understand how much time and effort is put into childhood cancer.

“It is the awareness that I think needs to be out there,” said Sheila Edwards, cafeteria employee. “People don’t realize

Gold-fashioned greatness… Edwards wears her gold to show her awareness of the struggles of victims of childhood cancer and their families. (Haley Gunther)

how painful it would be to have a child with cancer, and whether or not the child will survive.”

Throughout the years students have suffered with cancer, so the staff make sure that this awareness is made known and that all support goes to fellow Pirates.

“I’m a big supporter, my license plate on my car is the childhood cancer awareness one,” Orfanello said.

An empathizing point of view helps people understand the hardships that children, family members and friends go through when faced with childhood cancer.