Strapping in…Students practice using a stretcher and carrying a student on it. Students performed a drill to further understand the role of an EMT. Photo courtesy of Fairhope High Instagram.

First Responder Career Day showcases new opportunities for students

by Riley Wootten, reporter

FAIRHOPE, Ala- First responders visited Fairhope High School on Tuesday, May 7, for the First Responder Career Day. This event showed students about the different careers in the first response.

First Responder local agencies suc h as Medstar Air Care, Medstar EMS, Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office, Fairhope Police Department and Fairhope Volunteer Fire Department informed students about their role and responsibilities in each career.

“I think one of the most important things about being a first responder is that the first thing to remember is law enforcement and the public is a joint operation and you have to have good relationships and good communication,” said Wyatt Mctigue, police corporal.

Local responders allowed students to experience first hand what it is like to be in the line of duty. Students were given the opportunity to perform CPR, sit in emergency vehicles, meet a K9 and see professional police equipment up close.

“I feel that the most important part about being a first responder is saving lives and protecting those around us,” said Richard Jones, EMT.

Many students were granted a clear understanding of the importance of First Responders and what they do in order to protect people.

“I was most interested in being able to see first hand what first responders do day to day and knowing the measures they have to take when there is an emergency,” said Emma Delamore, sophomore.

This event inspired many students and created an opportunity to learn more about potential careers in first responding.

“The best thing we can do to further those relationships with law enforcement and make it to where we work together instead of seeing each other on one side of the line is have more offense where we can stand face to face and talk is what will further our mission as a community,” said Wyatt Mctigue, police corporal.

Students were able to learn more about their community and the importance of first responders. This Career Day opened up career opportunities for students and gave them an idea of the responsibilities and roles of a first responder.