Track and Field to compete in Sectionals

After months of hard work and training, the Fairhope High School track team will showcase its talents in the 2024 Track and Field Sectionals, hosted by McGill-Toolen Catholic High School, set to take place at the University of South Alabama Jaguar Track in Mobile on April 26-27; coaches will meet 10:30 a.m.; events will start at 11 and end around 3 p.m. on Friday, while Saturday will see events starting at 9 a.m. and ending around 1 p.m.

An admission fee of $10 per day is required to be paid on GoFan, but parking will be free and available to attendees. Additionally, food—including the Ferlise Chicken wings, back by popular demand—will be available for purchase from vendors and concessions.

“Right now, we just got done with our county meet, so we’re just focusing on all the athletes that are going to sectionals. Then hopefully after sectionals, the next week, we’ll have the guys who qualify for State and prepare for that,” said Obie Watkins, head coach. “The way we prepare for that is like every other day—just show up at 3:30, then leave at 5-5:30ish, depending on what we are working on that day. We have sprinters, we have jumpers, distance guys and we have our throwers.”

Live results will be posted on the MileSplit website, as well as a prepared schedule of events. For more information or if there are questions, contact Drew Bently at [email protected].

The top five finishers in each individual event who meet the qualifying mark will compete for state the following weekend. Additionally, four wildcards from all four section meets will be selected to qualify, as well as the top three relay teams. All ties for the qualifying spots will be broken at the meet.

The season is coming to an end and the team is roaring to its apex; after a year of arduous hours and stressful meets, the Fairhope track and field team is finally ready to make history in the Alabama High School Athletics Association. It’s time to support them in their efforts and watch as they soar to new heights and rise to the top. Don’t miss out on this match of a lifetime.

***
Fairhope High School is an institution with the mission of fostering integrity and academic excellence in each of its students while forming fond memories for people to look back on. Fairhope High School believes every student matters and deserves the opportunity to flourish into a purposeful, successful and happy individual. The strong academic climate at Fairhope High School has a variety of clubs, sports teams, organizations, core classes, art and theater courses and more that form independent and cooperative human beings.