Prepped and ready!... A student registers for the ACT test, found on the act.org website.
Prepped and ready!… A student registers for the ACT test, found on the act.org website.
Conner Morris

ACT prep classes prepare juniors

by Conner Morris, reporter

FAIRHOPE, Ala. – Teachers prepare juniors for the ACT daily, during fourth block using resources paid for by Baldwin County Schools. The ACT is a tool colleges use to measure students and determine their entry ability and scholarship.

“Multiple companies put out ACT prep information for our students. Our Baldwin County Schools pay for [these programs] for our students, and they come from companies like Act, Pearson, Cert, Albert.io. There’s so many different places we get ACT prep information from,” said Cammie Adams, counselor. 

A variety of companies design practice assignments to prepare juniors for the ACT.  ACT prep class helps juniors understand what the test will actually be like. 

ACT practice tests give students a real-life glance into what the ACT looks like and how it is timed. 

“Juniors can work on those concepts; for instance, in math, if you know how to do linear equations, you can just focus on that problem, you can just focus on the parts you are weak in, and then you can use the ACT prep to get better,” Adams said. 

Principal Jon Cardwell said not only does a high ACT score help students with college acceptance, but also with a high ACT score, there are other perks: ACT determines scholarship money for incoming students.

“We never want to put our kids in a position where they only do better [on ACT] for the school report card, but we also are putting students in a position where colleges are a little bit easier to maintain [financially]. The higher the ACT score, the more money it gets [them] for college,” Cardwell said.

The ACT is offered throughout the year. Students can create an account on act.org where they will sign up for testing and where their scores will be visible as long as the account is active.