Listen and learn... Walker Holder and his group listen to what feedback the judges gave. All sharks declined investment except the final one.
Listen and learn… Walker Holder and his group listen to what feedback the judges gave. All sharks declined investment except the final one.
Ann Clark-Smurda

Entrepreneurship class takes on Shark Tank

by Ann Clark-Smurda

Stacey Weakley’s second and sixth period classes were tasked with putting together a marketable object, displaying it to a panel of judges in a mock shark tank.

During the past six weeks students chose from the following assignments: developing a new product/service idea, a business plan, a social media advertising campaign strategy or a profit margin breakdown. 

Got them covered… Ava Farmer presents her invention the bumbrella. She spoke about the many pros of her group’s invention and why judges/sharks should invest. (Ann Clark-Smurda)

Student groups of up to four people determined which course of action to take.

The requirements for the project were to create a prototype, a slideshow presentation and a tri-fold board or a brochure. 

Junior Ava Farmer takes the class second period and came up with a clever new product. 

“Our project was called bumbrella and it was an innovative umbrella. It has clear extensions all around the sides to keep more than the top of your head dry,” Farmer said.

Once completed with the six week construction period for each group’s project, it was time to be judged by the panel of sharks. 

The selected sharks were school board member Cecil Christenberry, Principal Jon Cardwell, Assistant Principal Josh Howell, Curriculum Director Stephanie Wainwright and Mayor Sherry Sullivan.

What’s the offer… The judges listen to the current group explaining their invention. They thought about the course of action each wanted to take in terms of an investment. (Ann Clark-Smurda)

“Students presented their ideas to the sharks and after an extensive question and answer session, sharks decided if they were in or out, meaning if they were willing to invest in the idea,” Weakley said. 

Farmer’s group received offers from three sharks, ultimately siding with Wainwright who invested $100 thousand for 20% equity which really means a whole ton of jolly ranchers.   

If students did receive an investment by one of the sharks they were given jolly ranchers as money and shook hands with their selected investor. 

This project’s goal is to develop presentation, creativity and teamwork skills, all important to entrepreneurship.