Still standing….The site of the original Fairhope High School still stands on 
Church Street. The city purchased the campus from the Baldwin County Public School System in 2018 with plans to renovate it as a Performing Arts Center, according to WKRG News.
Still standing….The site of the original Fairhope High School still stands on Church Street. The city purchased the campus from the Baldwin County Public School System in 2018 with plans to renovate it as a Performing Arts Center, according to WKRG News.
Madeline Piazza

Fairhope High celebrates 100 years

FAIRHOPE, Ala. – Since 1923, Fairhope High School has been home to thousands of students, some spanning generations. This high school excels in academics, sports and countless extracurricular activities. 

Younger students grew up going to sporting events and looked forward to attending high school.  They cherished their memories from a very young age.

“I’ve lived in Fairhope my whole life, and I intend on staying. My great grandmother went to Fairhope High School in the 1930s. And just to understand the history of this school and how my family went here before me is mind blowing,” said junior Bryce Boothe.

Students can look back in families’ histories and be proud that they are continuing their legacy and know that their ancestors would be pleased with them.

“My favorite memory is when my aunt used to cheer and my uncle played football here. And I used to come to pancake breakfast, as a kid, with them on game days,” Boothe said.  “And when I go now, as a football player, I remember when I was a young and how time has changed so much and knowing that this is my home.”

A school widely known for its academic excellence, FHS is successful in carrying out The International Baccalaureate Program, a highly distinguished course to take that requires hard work and dedication.  Also available are seventeen Advanced Placement classes to prepare students for college. 

Principal Jon Cardwell is proud of the school’s progression.

“The growth of the student body and the growth of our academics have been equal. We have expanded our AP classes, IB is still here, and we have done dual enrollment classes; it has helped kids so much,” Cardwell said.

Teachers create a learning  environment to promote student success. The faculty work to prepare their students for college and career life. Cardwell holds an emotional bond with stakeholders.

“Fairhope High School means everything to me, I love it. I’ve never been happier with the community, the kids, the business partners, and the alumni. It’s a special place that is different from a lot of other schools and that is what makes it special.” 

To faculty, staff and students FHS is filled with people who share memories together, improve together and  celebrate together. It is a home; it is a family.

Students’ memories fill the halls as they reminisce about  the old times, while also making new memories, eventually being able to share them with others as they grow older. 

To commemorate the 100 years, the city formed a committee. They organize events for current students, alumni and staff to be a part of. 

“Mary Nelson is the one who had the idea to celebrate 100 years. She was a teacher here and has done many creative things for the school,” said Lynn Miller Tate, committee leader. “ She was the one who came up with the idea of the Pirate statue outside the school.”

FIfty-four former Homecoming Queens, including Sandra Brown BIshop, the first queen, will be announced at the home football game November 3, at 7 P. M. Game tickets are available for $11 on gofan.com.

“It is remarkable how Fairhope’s first homecoming queen will be attending the game. It goes to show how FHS is a family and alumni will always come back to show support to their alma mater,” Tate said.

The next morning [Saturday, November 4] at 10 A. M., an Alumni Baseball game will be held with former baseball players. There will be a tailgating in the Right Field Lounge prior to the game for former players and their families to reminisce about their times on the team. Participants can tailgate with their own food or take advantage of a food truck from The Pirate Pit BBQ, where all tips are donated to the Fairhope Educational Enrichment  Foundation [FEEF]. 

The game  creates an opportunity for the baseball alumni to recreate old memories from having successful years of being area champions to reaching the final four. To sign up, players can contact Coach Kyle Hunter at [email protected].