Learning Languages… Students that take foreign language electives are positively benefited and exposed to new cultures and languages.
Vectorstock

Students should take a foreign language in high school

by Gioia Calzetta, reporter.

Foreign languages are difficult to learn. It can take years to master another language, even with frequent practice. Even though learning a second language is challenging, it is scientifically proven that adolescents have an easier time learning new languages. 

Taking a foreign language elective can also help expose students to different cultures. For these reasons, all high school students should take a language elective.

According to Nytimes.com, “Learning [a] language as an adult requires a lot more effort and study, [while] children pick up new languages easily and quickly.”

My father was an immigrant from Venezuela, so he taught me Spanish as a young child. I was around three years old when I could fluently speak Spanish with my dad and grandparents. My personal experience is proof that younger children learn languages quicker. 

Even though many students didn’t have the opportunity to learn a foreign language as a young child, high school is not too late to begin learning. 

“Starting to learn when you are in high school is easier than trying to learn later in life, so even a few basic years of learning can prove extremely beneficial,” said Jack McKenzie, French Honor Society member.

The younger a person is, the easier it is for them to retain a language. Therefore, high school students should take a foreign language elective because it would be easier for them to learn the language as a teenager than as an adult.

Taking a foreign language can also help expose students to other cultures. 

“Learning French has given me many opportunities to learn about and appreciate several francophone cultures,” McKenzie said.

As a first generation American, I have grown up listening to Latin music and eating foods native to South America. When I signed up to take Spanish I as an elective, I was afraid that the authentic experiences I had as a child would not be provided for others in the class. However, I found that the elective was effective at displaying Hispanic culture and teaching American students Spanish. 

“Seeing the different ways of life has been an eye-opening experience for me, and has definitely caused me to have much more respect for foreign cultures than I would have had without having taken French as a class,” McKenzie said.

Even though learning a new language can be difficult and time consuming, students should still take a foreign language elective to better understand foreign cultures, and with practice, speak a foreign language.