Wave to the crowd… Cheerleaders Sadie Fidler and Chloe Ellis stunt a camper. The girls rotate among stations to learn different chants and cheers.
Gioia Calzetta

Fairhope high school cheer team hosts ninth annual Little Pirate Cheer Clinic

Pom-pom powerhouses

by Gioia Calzetta, reporter

Pin it on… Gavras pins a nametag on a participant. She helped more participants and walked down their age-designated aisles to welcome them. (Gioia Calzetta)

FAIRHOPE, Ala. — The cheer team hosted the Little Pirate Cheer clinic on Friday, September 29. Little Pirate Cheer

has been a tradition for nine years. The event is hosted for children, ages 5-12, as a way for them to learn high school cheerleading routines and cheers.

The cheerleaders spent the previous week making and decorating name tags specific to each child. Head cheer coach Pamela Brewer organizes the event and encourages young children to attend and interact with the high school cheerleaders and each other. 

Hosting dozens of young girls every year, the event is designed to promote bonding between the cheerleaders and the younger generation. Beyond the obvious, the clinic also motivates high schoolers to be role models and fosters a mentorship between them. 

“I consider myself a mentor by showing the younger girls to never give up on what

Cue the music… young girls dance to music while learning to cheer. They rotated stations and learned how to stunt. (Gioia Calzetta)

they love to do,” said Bailey Harness, team manager. 

Cheerleaders hold special bonds with the children from previous clinics.

“I like watching how happy they get… like how excited they are to do stunts and jumps and cheers,” said Mia Gavra, varsity cheerleader.

The children love learning the new dances, and the cheerleaders enjoy teaching it to them. 

“I just like cheer in general,” said Camile Brewer, a Little Pirate Cheer camper.

The cheerleaders set up stations, each teaching a different cheer or chant. While the older children do more complex cheers, the younger ones learn simpler chants.

Pirate house… Senior varsity cheerleader Ella Traylor leads the Fairhope classic “Pirate House” chant. The young girls learned another classic, “Walk the Plank.” (Gioia Calzetta)

“I like stunting… and Pirate house,” said Baylor Brennen, participant.

The children get the chance to rotate between each station so they can learn as many new cheers as possible.

“I like the jumps,” said Natalie Rosser, participant. 

While the Little Pirate Cheer Clinic allows children to have fun and connect with the high school cheerleaders as well as their peers, it also reminds varsity cheerleaders the importance of being a mentor in and out of uniform.

Clinic participants will cheer on the sidelines with the varsity squad during the first half of the home game versus Baldwin County High on November 3.