Engaged and curious… Senior Parker Burk listens attentively to a Troy University representative discussing programs and campus life. The representative gave Burk pamphlets and contact cards to help him get the information he needed.
Jillian Surla
Categories:

Fairhope High School hosts Mini College Day for seniors

by Jillian Surla, editor-in-chief

FAIRHOPE, Ala.—Fairhope High School held its Mini College Day on September 4, offering students a unique opportunity to explore future educational paths through personal interactions with representatives from a variety of institutions. 

Participants included the University of South Alabama’s Engineering Department, the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), Troy University, the University of Alabama, Coastal Alabama Community College, Pensacola State College, the University of Mobile and the United States Marine Corps.

“It’s important to get to know all the colleges to understand what each – what really matters, or what you’re interested in,” said Lexie Barnett, University of Mobile representative. “You know, whether you’re wanting a big college or just a private university like the University of Mobile.”

The event, held in room 301 from 10:20 a.m. to 11 a.m., allowed students to engage directly with admissions counselors, ask questions about academic programs and campus life, as well as gather details on the application process. This personalized approach aimed to help students make informed decisions about their post-high school plans.

“Students – seniors especially – should try to explore different college and career options so that they know what’s available and what’s out there,” said Gabrielle Stopa, FHS career coach, “and having these recruiters come on campus really gives all of you guys the benefit of being able to see different college, meet people, make connections, and learn about what’s available for you.”

The small-group setting allowed for more intimate discussions and helped students gain a clearer understanding of the different opportunities available to them, whether they are pursuing higher education or a career after graduation.

“There’s different demographics and different qualities that each college has. It’s different. All colleges are different – you just need to find the right one,” Barnett said.

FHS’s Mini College Day helped students find the right path by offering first hand exposure to a diverse selection of colleges and career options, guiding them to make informed decisions about their futures.