Game face on….. Students pay attention to their selected subject trivia questions in Scholars Bowl practice. They concentrated intensely as they practiced.
Submitted photo

Fairhope students participate in Alabama’s Scholars Bowl

by Ann Clark-Smurda

It’s that time of year for the Scholar Bowl team to come back together and start competing. The Scholars bowl is similar to a game of jeopardy, with a group of students coming together to form a team and answering questions about various subjects and topics.

The Pirates’ most recent competition was February 22. Unfortunately, they came out with a loss, but Laura Smith, one of their three sponsors, had nothing but good things to say about her team. 

“We had an even score throughout most of the night in every subject we participated in, our team is very good with thinking fast on their feet,” Smith said.

There is a big red buzzer in between two people from opposing teams. When the subject question is asked ,the goal is to be first to hit the buzzer with the correct answer.

“Successfully hitting the red buzzer and having the fastest response time is one of the more difficult challenges to it,” Smith said.  

When preparing for the Bowl, students pick a subject that they have the most knowledge on and try practice-trivia questions in relation to the chosen topic. 

“Even though we lost, I was so proud of our team for the perseverance and the commitment they showed throughout the whole competition; while we did not win, we held our own out there,” Smith said. 

Fairhope has been competing in the bowl for a minimum of seven years. Smith joined the team two years ago when she first came to Fairhope.  

Livestreams of their competitions are available to watch on the Alabama Scholars Bowl website.

Going into the next competition they hold their heads high and above all, try and be first to the buzzer.